My local writing group, Evanston Writers Workshop, is having our First Annual Conference! I’m so excited. Here are thirteen reasons by YOU should attend the conference, if you’re anywhere near the Chicagoland area (and being on planet Earth counts as ‘near’…)
1. It’s my writing group! (Duh…)
2. MaryJanice Davidson is our Keynote Speaker! She’s a multiple best-selling author on BOTH the coveted New York Times AND USA Today lists, and has written a whopping 66 books to date! I cannot wait to see this woman speak. She’s funny, down-to-earth, and incredibly knowledgeable.
3. It’s at the Winnetka Community House, one of the most gorgeous venues in the area. Check out their website for pictures and more information. I almost fainted when Debbie said we are having the event there. I’d go just to see the place!
4. Author Sherrill Bodine. She knows fashion (heck, she IS fashionable!!), she’s funny, and she knows a heckuvalot!
5. Crime novelist and short story author, Libby Hellmann. Past national president of Sisters in Crime, this lady knows a LOT about mystery and crime writing, as well as public speaking and video production.
6. Author Jamie Freveletti, published with Harper Collins. Her debut thriller, Running from the Devil (HarperCollins/ William Morrow), was released in May, 2009, was chosen as a “Notable Book” by the Independent Booksellers of America and has been nominated as a “Best First Novel” by the International Thriller Writers. It has been translated into three languages and was an international bestseller. Her second novel, Running Dark, will be released in June, 2010.
7. Cuz I said so! (Just had ta slip that in there…)
8. Me! No, really! I’ll be giving a couple presentations, including Sustaining the Creative Process, How to Critique Effectively, and How to Set Up a Blog. I even have a spiffy bio on the conference website! (I feel all official!!)
9. It’s $100 for sixteen hours of panels, workshops, The Prompt Pit, and face-time with our guest speakers! Saturday and Sunday, 9-5 both days, May 15 and 16, 2010. BE THERE!
10. Our panels will include: Agent and Editor panel; Genre author panels (several); Creatures, supernatural and sci-fi; and a Children’s author panel.
11. Our conference website is awesome! Designed by our very own Debbie Cairo, it’s got all sorts of cool stuff. Check it out!
12. Publicist Dana Kaye. Learn about the art of publicity from Chicago’s very own expert! Look out, she’s a writer too, so this fine lady understands your pain!
13. Did I mention, this is our writing group? The Evanston Writers Workshop started in 2007 and is now over 300 strong – and growing! We meet weekly on Wednesdays at the Evanston Barnes and Noble at 7:00 P.M., and we have workshops and conferences and will be the next force to stop Global Warming!
Hmm. Maybe I should look up “hyperbole?”