It’s my birthday Saturday, and so I bought myself some new sewing patterns since Vogue Patterns is having a sale today and tomorrow. In the process of playing with the images, inspiring myself, I thought of my post for today.
1. Sewing, like any craft, has its share of work. Stuff one doesn’t necessarily like doing, or things that are necessary for the final product. These are part of the process.
2. You know how they say ‘enjoy the ride,’ like you’re supposed to enjoy the process of doing something and not really focus on the product?
Yeah, that’s really hard.
3. I sew slow.
4. #3 is okay, because #2 is true.
5. #1 is also true.
6. Even so, I love to look at patterns and imagine what I can do to design things. I like to design.
7. I’ve been a designer my whole life. It started in calligraphy, and branched out into needlepoint, music, writing, and knitting.
8. It’s not really a surprise that I’d like to sew; it’s tactile, it’s like sculpting with fabric, AND I get to wear what I design.
9. I’m scared of #8.
10. #1 is still true. And because of that, I’m reminded of another truth: the verb is “to sew,” not “to have no fear.”
11. Sometimes, I’d like to run over whoever came up with the idea of Zen. And flow. And process over product. And all that crap.
With a hummer.
12. It’s my birthday Saturday, and I’m excited about the patterns I just purchased.
13. COME TO MY WRITING CONFERENCE! (This is not a non-sequitur!)